Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam heat sizing

KirbyJ Member Posts: 1
I am confused by the sizing tables in the Lindhart guide to steam heating.  I have two radiators that share one 1 1/2" pipe, and then branch to each radiator with an 1 1'2"X1 1/4" X 1 1/4" tee.  The 1 1/2" pipe branches off of the 2" main horizontally and then goes up vertically to feed the two radiators.  Would this be considered a runout or an upfeed riser?  The EDR of the two radiators are 96 and 30.  If I go by the runout column then the one radiator by itself is too big for that pipe and the tapping on it is only 1 1/2".  Thanks for any input. 


  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    By definition

    a runout is the piping that connects a radiator to a riser..a springpiece connects a riser or first floor radiator to a main..people dont use the term springpiece much anymore..definition is from page 90 of the Dunham application manual 1953.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

  • BillyP
    BillyP Member Posts: 5
    Not sure

    I think you would consider that an upfeed riser.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,849

    Sounds like something a young guy goes out looking for after shaking off the winter doldrums. ;-)

    I've heard them called take-offs, runouts (incorrectly, apparently) and upfeed branches (from Hoffman's Steam Heating Systems HS-901 A).
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.