Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will it work?

Options
Tibbsy
Tibbsy Member Posts: 1
Hi guys, I have installed many radiant systems and always followed the rules that were passed down to me. A my own house, I have a garage that was converted into a living room. The floors have always been very cold, and I would like to add radiant heat. This is hard to explain, but in order to get the floor height to match the abutting room, I can not use quick track or similar products. I will have no access under the room once done. I am having the sill and floor spray foamed with the existing floor joists staying place. My thought is why couldn't I nail some strips onto the sides of the floor joists, plywood, then two inches of foam, or maybe reflectix then staple the radiant tubing to that leaving a 1" air gap between my radiant tubing and the subfloor. I am using engineered hardwood and the staples will not penetrate the subfloor. Anyone tried a stunt like this? I know it's not perfect, but it would save a ton of time over lowering the floor framing. The abutting room will have radiant heat as well, but that will be under the floor with heat plates. Any suggestions?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Maybe. But:

(f I were to try to do it, I would get some 5/4" strapping and rip it into strips. nail it to the sides of the joists at a height below the top of the joists to allow for the tube. Insulate between the floor joists. If you use foam, make sure it isn't too high. Take some cheap plywood and cut it 14" X 96" and place it on the sleeper/cleats. Put bubble wrap in top of the plywood and put down the PEX.. Put down your finish floor and be done with it. It will work. 
This discussion has been closed.