Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valve replacements on my Baxi Luna

Deaniexyz
Deaniexyz Member Posts: 1
I had a certified installer put in my Baxi boiler in 2007. A couple of months ago, the pressure valve was leaking and was replaced. Because the problem continued, the pressure tank was replaced because the internal tank bladder had failed. (It was more cost effective to add an external tank rather than dismounting the entire until to get to the one inside.) In the past few days, I noted that even though the thermostat timer called for heat in the morning, it was taking about 2 hours for the boiler to fire. This morning, my plumber was here and told me that the zone valves need to be replaced. We turned the heat down on all the zones and then, one by one, turned them on. The end switch on the 2nd zone valve would not fire the boiler. He said the other two zone vales have the potential of sticking (hence the delay before any heat) and will likely fail as well. Because the type of valve used will require cutting and draining the system, the cost of replacement will be significant. I've been very happy with my Baxi but certainly expected it to live up to its recommendation as an efficient and low maintenance heater. 1. Is this just my bad luck or is there something else that could be going on? 2. is this kind of repair normal at 5 years? 3. Do you think the plumber's resolution plan is accurate?

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Zone valves

The zone valves are not a part of the boiler.

Normally the zone valves(pending age and manufacture) can have the valve motors and internals replaced without cutting into the piping.

What kind of valves do you have? Honeywell, White Rodjers, Taco, etc...

If you take a photo we could probably give you better info.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    does'nt

sound right. You should be able to replace any zone valve w/o cutting out the body.
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    Baxi #

What is the model # of the Baxi HT330, HT380 Ht1.33 or Luna 310, 1.31 The Baxi expansion tanks are pretty easy to change out and they are not much more than other external expansion tanks. When it comes to labor swap out should not be to bad you can shut off valves at boiler and drain just the boiler and change out and fill pretty easy. Baxi has vents inside that help remove  all the air out before you open valves.  As for the zone valves are you using relay box or jumping from valve to valve? If you are changing valves I like the Grundfos I have had great luck with them.
This discussion has been closed.