Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how to clean CI baseboard and test joints

Options
heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I am ready to add a separate zone into my existing one zone system now. I have bought some old (more 20 yrs old) and new (not used) Weil-McLain CI Snug Baseboards.

I found there are some rust dust inside the baseboard. How can I clean them out before connect them? Use Shop-Vac? how about air-compressor?  and how to do it effectively?

I have no problem on solder in the past. But this time I plan to test all joints before I shutdown the system and connect the new addition in. how can I test the new addition without interrupt the existing heating? Use my nailer air-compressor? how?

The Air Vent location is on the top close to the end by design. I don't think that is a good place to release air because some water will come out with air and it is hard to catch water there. I am thinking put the Air Vent on the upper side outlet. Is this a valid change?

thanks,

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Air vents:

You're overthinking the problem. A paper towel is a beautiful thing along with a plastic glass or cup.

I use a nail gun compressor for testing. I test everything and gave for years.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Further note

When pressure testing, limit the air pressure regulator to 25 or 30 psi.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Cleaning

As far as cleaning the inside of the baseboard, vacuum and blow out any heavy particles.

Then get a small pump and some CLR cleaner. Mix 50/50 with water and run in and out of a 5 gallon bucket. Run for a few hours, then flush with clean water till running clear.
This discussion has been closed.