Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for clean, modern baseboard heaters

Options
We're building later this year, and the style of the home will be modern.

We'll have in-floor heat where possible, but in carpeted areas we'll likely need either panel rads or baseboard.

Can you suggest sources for very clean, modern baseboard heaters? Runtal is the only option I've seen so far.

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Why carpet??

Carpet has historically been put down to keep peoples feet from seeing/meeting cold floors, no? Warm floors = no need for carpet. (I'm guessing that the lady of the family wants the rug...)

Good luck on finding baseboard that looks modern. They haven't (can't really) change the looks since its been out.

Now, if you REALLY want something unique, and you want to keep your delivery system in the radiant mode versus the convective mode (BIG difference in comfort between the two) look at Jaga.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    What's Old Is New

I think their cast iron baseboards look clean and modern. http://www.governaleindustries.com/govboard.cfm
  • Steve Rockwell_2
    Steve Rockwell_2 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Carpet Crawlers

Mark, thanks for your reply.

Most of the first floor will be wood or tile, but we'll have carpet in the great room and den for noise and comfort. Don't want hard surface floors in those areas. All the bedrooms will have carpet.

I need to do some Wall searching to understand the difference between convective and radiant modes - that's a bit over my head at the moment.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Jaga

Gorgeous designs - right at home in a Metropolitan Home feature.  Myson also makes a few uber-modern designs, and even their lowly Select line of plate radiators is quite clean and uncluttered.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Got it...

That "noise killing" capability trips me up every time ;-)

The difference between radiant and convective output is that the radiators, as the name implies, generates more RADIANT energy than convective energy, thereby having more influence over the Mean Radiant Temperature, which is what really drives the bus of human comfort.

Even a panel radiator has some convective component to its output, but the more radiant you get, the better your body will feel at a lower air temperature. (60% R, 40 % C)

If you attempt to raise the MRT with convection, it requires such a higher air temperature that it becomes uncomfortably warm, and that does NOT fit in my definition of good human comfort.

The lower the water temperature to the radiant emitter, the greater the percentage of radiant, and the lesser the percentage of convective. THis is why my radiant windows work best at around 70 to 75 degree F glass surface temperature. It projectile VOMITS radiant energy into the living space, significantly affecting the positive radiant benefits.

You have radiant floors which WILL have a significant affect on the MRT, and it only makes sense to keep the delivery mode in one plane. Have you considered radiant ceilings in those spaces with deficiencies? I have both, and can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing more comfortable than being in between to radiant emitting surfaces. A human microwave oven if you will, that delivers good human comfort experiences.

Look at Warmboards new R panel. Highest output with the lowest operating temperatures of anything on the market. Worth the extra money because it will SAVE you operating costs.

In the bedrooms is where radiant ceiling REALLY makes the most sense. You sleep on TOP of the bed, not on the bottom. Why heat the part that only houses dust bunnies? With radiant ceilings, you can cover the floor with polar bear rugs if you want, and the system does not give a hoot. And you still get to experience a good radiant comfort . I am not sure why people are so apprehensive to employ this type of system. It's been around for as long, or longer than radiant floors...

ME

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Baseboard

What about Heating Edge from Smith Environmental.
  • SWEI
    Options
    Warmboard R

What makes their R panel perform better than the original design?

Best design I've seen is the Roth XPS panel, but they're not cheap.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Nothing...

It is a non structural component, hence less expensive than their structural component. It works exactly the same as their regular stuff. It can be used on an existing floor, or wall or ceiling, or all the above (including below a granite counter top).

When used on the ceiling, it makes an excellent radiant cooling system.

I have Roth panel on the ceiling of my cabin. If WB R had been available, I'd probably have used it instead. The instructions that came with it (Roth) don't even mention doing anything other than floors. It works fine, but was a pain to get in place. I used oversized fender washers, and STILL ended up pulling a couple of them through the aluminum skin...

Guess I don't know my own strength ;-) Wouldn't have been an issues were it Warmboard.

ME

• SWEI
    Options
    Roth panel

Never tried it upside down :)  Works wonders over existing slab-on-grade with glue and weights.
  • Steve Rockwell_2
    Options
    Ceiling

Thanks for he explanation.

I hadn't thought of a ceiling option, which is interesting. I'll check out Warmboard.
  • Steve Rockwell_2
    Options
    Ceiling

Thanks for he explanation.

I hadn't thought of a ceiling option, which is interesting. I'll check out Warmboard.
This discussion has been closed.