Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus - Riello keeps shutting off

Options
kennebago
kennebago Member Posts: 2
I recently  had a house remodeled and had a Buderus  G115 with a Riello FB5 installed.  House is in Maine.  The system generally works well but several times the burner has either shut done or failed to s take long for the house to cool down tart when heat was called for.  The burner started when the reset was pushed, but i am very concerned.  It gets pretty cold in Maine and it doesn't take long for the house to cool down.  The flue is stainless and there is no barometric damper.  I am a homeowner and an engineer.  I have built several houses, and installed old style boilers, but I know nothing about this.  I had the boiler installed by a local P and H guy but he seems a little lost -- anyone have any suggestions

thanks

Comments

• kennebago
    kennebago Member Posts: 2
    Options
    OOPS !! Forgot, this is an oil fired setup

I forgot to add that this setup is oil fired 
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Check

the install against the manual. Is it installed correctly? Was a heat-loss done? Is the unit sized correctly? What faults are coming up? Was a combustion analyzer used to set up the burner, and do you have a copy of the final results?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    OK

This is just a boiler with an oil burner. You need to get someone that can troubleshoot the burner. I thought it was a mod/con. I don't understand why your installer is lost.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Buderus

Not a big fan here, but all that aside, It sounds like it is a direct vent boiler if there is no draft control. If not, then installer is clueless as to which model he installed. I would track the installer down. I'm sure this was not a freebie.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Bill you prob....

right. The BF5 was the other clue that its a Direct vent. They can be very finicky. The combustion number done on set up have to be just right. Was the boiler set up? I mean did the installer get out a combustion test tool and check that all the settings were perfect? Is there a test slip there?
  • hotpipe
    hotpipe Member Posts: 24
    Options
    chimney or direct vent

I've worked on BF5 burners in Buderus that were plugged into old unlined brick chimneys. Some work best with a draft regulator(sized) added, others work best with the set up specs for a F-series. The worst cases require the burner model changed to a chimney spec'd model. Usually depends on airtube insertion and what overfire and breech draft are.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    the other issue...

w/ direct vents is that you can set them up w/ one outdoor temp and be all good. Then along comes a real cold day.. cold oil and really cold intake air changes the way oil atomizs... bang, sooting and lockouts. A nozzle heater helps.
This discussion has been closed.