Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Water heating and radiant or European radiator

Options
Pologuy9906
Pologuy9906 Member Posts: 4
I am interested in getting a solar hot water heating system installed for my domestic hot water. I was also interested in using the water for a radiant floor heating system. The radiant floor system would be installed under the floor using the aluminum plates. I was told that wouldn't work in Connecticut because in the cold months the heat would reach 80-100 degrees and 140 is needed. I was then told to install european radiators and use them as the radiant.

What are the efficiency of the European radiators versus the under the floor radiant heating pex system?

Comments

• zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2012
    Options
    efficiency

You would do well to get a heatloss calculation done before doing anything, then you will know what can & can't be done in terms of heating the structure. You may not need 140deg for the plated system if you have enough insulation, good windows etc. The radiators have great efficiency they just need to be sized for the water temperature you intend to use them with; warmer=smaller, cooler=larger. (go larger ;)

On a side note you will need a lot of storage to do heating with the solar and some way to deal with the excess heat when it is not being used; outside heat dump or some such thing, there are a lot of novel ways to do it.
This discussion has been closed.