Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler knock

Options
fritzer435
fritzer435 Member Posts: 1
I own a gas 140,000 btu Crown boiler for 18 years in my residential home. The boiler this year developed a knock but only when the burners are on. I don't think there  is air entrapmentr but i manually released the air valve in case it was. Can you offer a cause and how to remedy? thanks

Comments

• KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Hi Fritzer

Well...  The knock can be a few things....  The first thing that comes to mind is that the water is boiling inside the heat exchanger.. so....

1.  Not enough flow through the exchanger = Bad circulator or clogged exchanger

a.  Make sure that you have flow through the boiler...  Do you have power to the

boilers circulator? Is the circulator working?

b.  If all of A is OK..  and even if it isn't....  hook a hose to the boiler drain down valve

and blow out the boiler exchanger...  You might have sediment lying on the

bottom of the heat exchanger..

Look at those items and I bet that your problem will disappear..

I hope I helped

:-)  KCA
    :-) Ken
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    The boiler

may need a chemical cleaning.

It is likely that there is a sediment build up in the boiler. The sediment has probably hardened.

Try the steps outlined by KCA. If still having issues, call a pro to have the boiler chemically cleaned / and or inspected for other causes.

With out repair, this may lead to the premature failure of the boiler.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    Knocking

What you are hearing is more than likely due to sediment in the boiler heat exchanger.

Turn the water off to the boiler on a warm day - after you turn the boiler off and see if the boiler pressure stays about the same. You may have a leak in the system that is causing the boiler to take on fresh water constantly - this brings in sediment and that will distroy the boiler.
This discussion has been closed.