Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new water hammer issues

amys
amys Member Posts: 1
Just recently I've had some water hammer issues with two of my radiators that have been working fine for the past few years and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, so I'm hoping some of you will have some advice.

Here's the background info:

The house was built in 1900 and has a one-pipe system. When I bought it in 2007 it had a brand new boiler. I painted all of the heaters and reinstalled them and have enjoyed years of an amazingly quiet heating system. All of a sudden in the middle of this season I have water hammer in two places, one downstairs and one upstairs heater. They all are correctly pitched and I put new valves on them after I painted them. What could the problem be? Also, how often should I be having my boiler cleaned?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    What has changed?

Have you noticed what the pressure is on the boiler gauge?

When is the hammering occurring? In what part of the cycle?

Has anyone adjusted the supply valves on these radiators? (They should be fully open.)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Sounds like it needs another water cleaning evolution.

some oil may have finally come out of the return pipe in enough quantity to screw up the boil..have the boiler skimmed before thinking anything went wrong.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.