Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

President

Options
I am bidding on a one pipe steam boiler, the condensate is returned thru the main supply piping, the system does not have a return line off the end of the supply main. How do I pipe in a Hartford Loop on a new boiler.

Thanks,

Bob Cermignano

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    counterflow piping question

the boiler manufacturer will usually have specific instructions for piping the chosen boiler into a counter-flow system. at least my peerless 211a had such a diagram. don't forget to teach the building owner how to do the skimming, which will take several blocks of maybe 4 hours each.--nbc

http://www.peerlessboilers.com/Products/CommercialBoilers/Series211A/tabid/124/Default.aspx#dnn_relateddocuments
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Piping Counterflow Systems

Hi Bob-  Attached is a diagram showing different methods of piping a counterflow steam system. There is the "classic" method: and then the header/hartford loop /drip method for single and multiple mains. You should also check the boiler's installation manual  to see what they recommend.

I've also attached two pictures of an nice multiple main counterflow system done by Steve Gronski, a Rhode Island steam pro.

- Rod
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Rod,

you have some of the best steam graphics i've seen..where do you come up with these? do you do those graphics yourself? they are wonderful..may i use them?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Drawings.

Hi Gerry- If my drawings / diagrams are useful to you please feel free to use them.  I use a Corel program, Paintshop, to do them. While there are better programs now available for drawing, I just use Paiintshop as it is quick and I’m familiar with it, having used it for years.   Most of the drawings are a mixture of cut and paste pieces from other drawings  to which I add piping and notes. A lot don’t have complete detail as I was trying to just answer a specific question when I put the original drawing together so if you see something that needs to be changed or added, let me know and I’ll modify the drawing for you.  Also if you need a new drawing, email me what you need and I ‘ll be happy to try to put something together for you.

- Rod
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Thanks Rod!

You do a most excellent job of getting a message across with your visuals. They really aid a narrative answer..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.