Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

9 units

Options
jrbayside
jrbayside Member Posts: 81
These are the 2 risers that dont get hot. the main is hot but the 2 tees are cold

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    2 cold risers

keep this one thread running instead of making a new one each time. that way we can scroll up to refresh our memories as to what was said.

are all of those lines pitched correctly so as not to trap condensate?

i see a union on one of the horizontals. if you crack it, while the boiler is jumpered to fire continuously, will steam come out? could these risers make a horizontal jog up stairs, with a pitch problem due to settlement of the bldg?

we probably still need a layout drawing of the system, to get a grasp of what is happenning/[not happening].--nbc
  • jrbayside
    Options
    9 units

I did not split the union yet, thats next. THere are some horizontals above the store thats above the riser u can see. It is horizontal and I have to check that next. this is quite a process, but im determined to fiqure it out
  • jrbayside
    Options
    9 units

In addition, the two gorton #2s I put on dont get hot so I also suspect a little steam deprivation. I will also try to slow  down the rads some more to see if I can push more steam down that main.   Thanks again. Ron
  • jrbayside
    Options
    9 units

Finally split the union, didnt get steam out yet. The riser in right picture that goes up the wall in the store above it, takes a 90 degree turn to horizontal, found the pitch the wrong way. when disconnecting the union, the riser dropped 2 inches. now I have to reconnect to the main(but first want to see if I can get steam out) then hopefully it should be working correctly, I am praying.

ps lots of water came out, thats where I think my problem was. I'll let you know
  • jrbayside
    Options
    9 units

Swapped out a 10 inch nipple to a 6 inch, pipe dropped the 4 inches now the pitch is very good. The only problem now is that I think I am running out of steam because I still cant get the riser hot. I set the cut out 1/2 a lb. higher to see if I could push more steam at that end, and changed more rad valves to smaller size to slow down the venting. Any more suggestions? Can always use your guys help.    Thanks Ron 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Bad pitch above

If the riser goes up, and then encounters a horizontal with a bad pitch, then that horizontal section needs to be straightened out. Can you pull down even further the riser which fell down? You will know when you have pulled enough, as more standing water will come out from the union.--NBC
  • jrbayside
    edited March 2012
    Options
    9 units

Dropped the pipe 4 inches, checked the pitch on the vertical, all is well, bubble is pinned on level in the right direction. No more water came out.
This discussion has been closed.