Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

9 units

Options
jrbayside
jrbayside Member Posts: 81
Hi all,   I am stumped at what to do,  the main gets hot, added new gorton #2 at the end, There are 2 tee,s  coming off the1 hot vent but do not get hot. Loosened the rad to one of the tee connections( hopefully to get more air out) .still does not get hot. The boiler cycles normally, the second tee to the vertical riser also does not get hot. I put 4 gorton d's on the riser in the apartment, 3 # D's in store below apt, still no heat.Should I put another main vent somewhere?. Cut in is at  1/2   and cut out is at 2.can't understand why its not getting hot.  Looking for some great advice from you guy's, Just dont know what to try next.   Thanks again, Ron

Comments

• Luv'nsteam
    Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Pictures

JRBayside, you will be asked for pix, so take some as soon as you are able, so the experts (not me) can help you. : )
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Radiator Venting

Hi Ron- I'm wondering if maybe you might just be running out of steam. Have you measured your system's radiators for total EDR and compared that to the boiler's output? . How many radiators are on the problem main? Where are the problems radiators located on this main?  Are some of the radiators on this main quite large? 

Why don't you try this - shut some (the majority) of the large radiators and see if steam then gets to the problem radiators. Also it might help if we knew the make and model of the radiator vents you are using on the radiators? It is possible to have too much venting on the radiators.

- Rod
  • jrbayside
    jrbayside Member Posts: 81
    Options
    9 units

I am going to try to shut down alot of rad valves to see if I can push the steam in the right direction. I think I oversized the valves on the existing rads, and will slower the venting to try and balance the system better. I am reading the BOOK and suggests that I try that.

Thanks for your help, and Im sure we will speak again.     Ron
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    What vents?

What vents are you using on your radiators?  Over venting radiators can cause tremendous balance problems.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.