Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mass sheetmetal permit

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
if i replace a small duct in acustomers home that fell apart, i am supposed to pull a permit for this one little piece of duct and a building inspector is going to come out and look at this piece of duct and the rest of the system is old and untouched.so the rest of the system is not looked bat just my little duct replacement, i am having a real hard time with this new crap. can anyone enlighten me? ihave my sheet metal license.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Sheet Metal Permits:

I don't know what to officially tell you. There seems to be a tremendous amount of mis-information on this subject as to what is required and what isn't.

Someone where I work installed a new gas water heater. The building Inspector is demanding a Sheet Metal Permit for the B-vent connection. It was always my understanding that anything that had to do with the exhaust venting of an appliance was covered under the appropriate license. What happens when a MA Plumbing and  Gas Inspector approves  a n installation and a building inspector comes along and tells me that my venting is wrong and I have to get a permit and change it to something that is against the gas code and wrong. Does he super-cede the Gas Inspector who must do many hours of required Continuing Education on Gas and Plumbing codes or a building inspector who has no special training in gas venting?

This whole issue is a bone thrown to cities and towns in the Commonwealth to raise more cash for cash strapped municipalities.

Next will be pipefitters. You will need a pipefitters license to install heat systems. That is an area with no regulations and permitting. Anything goes. As some of us see. You think there is disagreement on how to do things now, wait until that barrel of male bovine excrement gets wheels and rolls.

Your issue is a joke. In Plumbing in MA, if you are a "maintenance person", employed to do maintenance, you are allowed to do things with no license or permits that I, as a Master Plumber, could loose my license for doing without taking out a permit because I am "Engaged in the business of Plumbing. But "minor repairs" are exempted. Or so we think.

What you describe should be considered a "minor repair". Whether is, is open to interpretation.
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    bs

thanks for your input ice on this bs!!!!
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    edited March 2012
    Sheetmetal

Most of them have no clue either,and do not trust the one doing the ductblast test, i had a building inspecter tell a custermer in a new construction house that he had to have the duct tested... well the duct tester shows up runs her little test charges the guy over 500 bucks and then tells him Oh you didnt need this test, you ducts are inside the insulation evelope and you town dose not require it yet , then walks out the door with the check , the HO was pissed !! Had another one tell me i had to have the ducts tested on a comm building rehab for a bar , So i printed out the strech code and filled him in , i got a silly look and a oh....i see.

Anything related to metal has to have a lic sheet guy do it even the bathroom venting, no more flex its 4"hard pipe now, witch i do like.

No flex ducting  connectors over 5 feet, witch is not the same as flex ducting.

if you put in a boiler you need a lic to install the flue pipe.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    ma sheetmetal permit

what a money maker for cities and towns a permit toput in flue pipe on boilers ,water heaters and furnances how many plumbers and oilmen in ma actually pull permits
This discussion has been closed.