Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

excess oil

Options
Will the people you buy oil from buy back oil?  I am on automatic delivery and usually the tank is filled in may until the heating season starts again.  I am thinking of converting to natural gas and I don't know what to do with a full tank of oil.  Who on this board works in south jersey?  I have an old utica steam boiler.  I can't get any more technical than that!  I am not in the industry so, I hope someone can help. Condensing boiler?  Can you use that with steam?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    The

general rule of thumb is  no. Once delivered it become's contaminated with everything in your tank so cannot be re-sold. If your intentions are to swap to NG, I would recommend calling your supplier early and having them take you off auto delivery until your sure. Just remember to monitor your usage...btw, you cannot use a condensing boiler with steam. If it were me, I would look into the Burnham megasteam but that is not yet rated for NG....
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Change Over

Hi- The answer to your question as to "will they buy the oil back?" The answer to that is "It depends!"  The best thing to do is plan ahead. Call your supply company and inquire as to whether they will or not. If not, then plan you usage so you will run out close to the time you plan to replace your boiler /burner.

They don't make condensing boiler for steam systems. What type of steam system do you have? Is it one pipe or two pipe?  If you don't know which it is, take a look at your radiators - .One pipe connected to the radiator is a one pipe system . Two pipes connected to the radiator is a 2 pipe system. 

If your Utica boiler isn't too old, it may be possible to just replace the oil burner with a power gas burner rather than renew the whole boiler.  You might also take a look in the ":Find a Contractor: section at the top of this page. Scroll down to the "States " section and see if there is someone located near you.

- Rod
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    you can also....

see if you can find a local mechanic's shop who burns waste oil.  I'm sure they would be more then happy to take it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    fuel oil

Is another word for Diesel -- usually #2 -- though in some areas there will be some #1 (aka kerosene) blended in during the coldest months.  It's dyed red to indicate that road tax has not been paid on it.

Got any farmers or heavy equipment operators in the neighborhood?  Red Diesel is perfectly legit for use in tractors, gensets, and construction equipment.  At today's fuel prices, you should be able to find a taker pretty quickly.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    it is now

considered waste oil once it enters your tank. No company should consider taking it back for resale other than for waste oil. There are companies that will come and pump it out. They sell it to garages, etc, that have waste oil burners/heaters. They may even offer you a few bucks, or you may also have to pay the a few. As stated, I woul;d use it up. We are what seems like the tail end of winter, so why rush into it now?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Quick response about heating oil...

Not all heating oil is the same as dyed diesel. Heating oil is usually high sulfur, and not to be used in newer diesel engine that require ultra low sulfur diesel. You actually cant use high sulfur in any piece of equipment in Penna., it has to be ultra-low. Even if you filter it out of your tank, and filter it into the next tank, it will still be crap. Just ask anyone who insists on re-using their heating oil when they get a new tank. They seem to have a lot of fuel related problems. Like Billtwocase and the others said, stop the automatic delivery, use it all up, or sell it to someone who burns waste oil.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.