Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tight air vent space

Options
radmix
radmix Member Posts: 194
I have a customer that had a plumber install her heating system and installed a Taco air scoop so tight to the ceiling that there is no room for the air vent on top. The plumber put a 1/2" street 90* off of the top and installed a boiler drain and a hose. My question is, is there a automatic vent that can be installed off of this street 90 sideways. The ceiling right above the air scoop is concrete.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Vents:

What was he thinking?

In my experience, if it is a "normal" baseboard type system with no unusual things about it, and you keep the system over 18# for a while, you will never get any air and you won't need the air scoop device.
  • radmix
    Options
    Vent

Definitely not your typical system, To explain further  The house is 4 years old and approximately 8000sq. I have found 8 manifold locations, only  two manifolds that I have found are in operation, Only two T-Stats in entire house, House is 2 story's with all concrete floors and the tubing in the house from the manifolds are going to the 1st and 2nd floor. Boiler was running flat out putting 160* into slab. The boiler which is a condensing boiler is taking the air intake from inside the mechanical room where they store all the salt for the water conditioning and they wonder why they have went through control boards and fan motors in boiler. The primary loop s ran in 2" and is approximately 200' round trip I could go on further but I'm starting to tear up.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    primary loop

Perfectly engineered - to carry 600,000 BTU/hr  !!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Designed?

Did a Mechanical Engineer design and stamp this design? Or was it designed and installed by a HABYM?

Inquiring minds are wondering.

Any chance of some photos? Some of us here like the visual stimulation of an interesting subject. Not even mentioning the fun of picking something apart.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Aw, C'mon Ice!

I just ate!

I don't want to look at anymore bad systems today!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Bring on the pics.
    Al Corelli, NY

914-804-2234
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Inquiring minds

What's HABYM ?
  • radmix
    Options
    Pictures

I will returning to the project on Thursday, I will post some pictures then. The only solution I can come up with for the vent problem is to dip the primary loop down with a 45* and a st45* to add the vent.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    how about a radiator coin vent?

Some are semi auto venting. Just a thought. Its either that or plug it and stick a vertical spirovent on the riser.
This discussion has been closed.