Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting 3 phase comp to 1 phase?

I have the chance to pick up a large 6 door traulsen cooler but it is 3 phase how would I go about changing it to single phase?

The compressor # copelametic KALA010ATAC / SERIAL # 980-69792

thanks Tom

Comments

• What Refrigerant

The compressor you are referencing is an R-12 compressor, although it can be used with R-502 as well. You can get another Copeland compressor with the same configuration (Size, mounting length and mounting height) in a single phase model. However, this single phase compressor is designed for use with R-404A, but you can use it with R-502. If you opt for this compressor, you will need to be very careful with oil selection as well as metering device selection.
    Eugene
  • tbart16
    tbart16 Member Posts: 23
    thanks

thanks for your help any idea who could help me with such a retrofit Traulsen(cooler manufacture) was unable I have been searching for a copeland website but have been unsuccessful. Any help appreciated thanks again 
  • tbart16
    tbart16 Member Posts: 23
    thanks

thanks for your help any idea who could help me with such a retrofit Traulsen(cooler manufacture) was unable I have been searching for a copeland website but have been unsuccessful. Any help appreciated thanks again 
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Another option to consider.

I don't know what your intended use is for this unit so I don't know if this will be the right solution for you.

It is fairly simple to build a Phase Convertor to create 3-phase from single phase. All you need is the correct 3-phase motor, some run capacitors, some start capacitors a potential relay and the know-how to put it all together. You will however suffer a 10% loss through the convertor.
This discussion has been closed.