Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HB Smith, 30 years old, FHW oil Furnace- Steam/Water

gwt500 Member Posts: 1
Hi There         Steam seems to be coming out the front and through a large rusted hole in sheet metal panal cover on right side. Puddle of water too. We don't rely on it as our primary heat source. It runs infrequently for domestic hot water only. And it is backs-up for our wood pellet stove that heats the house. I'm thinking that whatever contains the water that is being heated inside ,teither a coil or small tank has sprung a leak. Steam coming out of hole has made the hole in the right side cover. (rusted out)   Am I likely correct in this and if so, can that coil/tank be replaced or is the furnace kaput? 



  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Religious Experiences:

    An object in your cellar that is having a Holy experience with tears of sadness coming out of the hole, usually means that a Resurrection is needed. The boiler has had an experience that needs a conversion to a newer model.

    A friend told me the other day that he took a pile of cracked boiler sections to the boiler graveyard. They gave him $0.10 per pound for it.

    It can be a problem with steam boilers when you get wood, coal or pellet stoves as your heat source. The pellet stove is your primary heat. The pellets are secondary. The steam boiler becomes neglected and will become hateful and do something naughty. Like leaking out the side.

    IMO, the boiler needs to go to that big boiler graveyard down the road.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    On LI

    we get 0.15 cents a pound at cast iron boiler funerals.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265

    I'll have to tell my friend he was short changed. The Portugese in New Bedford are only paying $.010. It must be cost of transportation.

    There's always someone, somewhere, trying to bend you over over something.
This discussion has been closed.