Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

high

Options
I need to add insulation to a 90-year-old cast iron Ideal boiler (~4' x 4' x 4').  The old asbestos jacket was removed because it was deteriorating and leaking.

I'd prefer to use some kind of 1" board rather than a blanket or roll.   All I can find is ceramic/wool refractory boards, which are rated to 2300º.  That seems overkill -- not to mention that I'm looking at $600 just for the boards.

Any recommendations on a suitable product, preferably one that might be available at a box store or a decent heating supplier?  Any recommendations on a suitable adhesive?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    ideal insulation for an ideal

why not use a blanket of fiberglass?--nbc
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    once the insulation was removed

are you able to see between the sections? you know, where the carbon monoxide resides..if so, removing the asbestos cement may have just screwed you..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• AdamSwapp
    AdamSwapp Member Posts: 18
    Options
    insulation

I'd prefer not to use a a blanket, because I'd like to have something with a little more substance to it; something that can take being bumped or leaned on without tearing (or shedding itchy fibers).  Do I misunderstand the nature of the blanket you have in mind?.

And yes, the boiler has been sealed.  It may be wasting energy, but it's not going to kill anyone. ;)
  • gerry gill
    Options
    Perhaps

cover it all in high temp insulation cement, covered with skrim and childers mastic..its what we do on the pipe fittings.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• AdamSwapp
    AdamSwapp Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Products and suppliers?

That's exactly what I had in mind originally, as I wanted to duplicate the appearance of the original jacket.  However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding specific products and suppliers.

If I may ask, what/who do you use?  Since I'm also in Northeast Ohio, I could probably make this real easy on myself by picking up the same stuff from the same place. ;)
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Leak

You posted a while back that this boiler had a leak at the water liner in one of the sections.

So my question is why put any money into reinsulating the boiler? That money would be better spent towards replacing the boiler.
  • gerry gill
    Options
    i like the cal coat that Crash has listed below,

which i get from buy insulation .com along with the childers mastic..you could also get the high temp cement (though its a bit bumpier at general insulation at 55th and chester in cleveland) for skrim i like using #50 weave cheese cloth available online or at a paint store..general insulation in cleveland has the seriously heavy skrim cloth that i don't like the appearance of.

This discussion has been closed.