Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Bushings - Hot Water Boilers

Options
LSF
LSF Member Posts: 3
Anyone having difficulty with larger (5" - 6") bushings leaking at threads on hot water heating boilers such as Peerless 211A or Weil McLain LGB series? We have tried all commercial products we are aware of. The bushing will hold for a day or two and then leak, sometimes an actual stream of water.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Leaking Bushings:

Among the commercial thread sealing products you used, did you use Teflon Tape and Rectorseal #5 or Rectorseal #100 with Virgin Teflon?

I have never found a leak that couldn't be stopped with Teflon Tape and I've been using it since the 1960's. Multiple layers of tape from the bottom to the middle of the threads, covered with paste, and paste the threads inside, crank down.

I find that things that were overtightened and I mean WAY over tightened, may leak. The only thing that stopped it for me was tape and paste. With Tape and paste, I never over tighten things and they never leak.

You know it was over tightened when there is no tape on it and it takes two 18" pipe wrench's to remove a 1/2" nipple.
This discussion has been closed.