Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat...gas valve stuck?

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
Hello again,

Well, after getting the Kabooms of my last post to stop, it seems the gas valve is stuck.  Everything else is up and running so it is likely the gas regulator.  I've been having to tap it slightly for a short while to get the diaphragm to open. I've been told the innards can't be repaired and a new old one is quite expensive for something that will have a short life.  I'd like to replace it with something that would work with either the Smith G8 or Slantfin Intrpid as those are the two contenders for replacement. Is this possible looking at the pictures or must it be the same?

If I can't easily fix this it looks like I may have to replace the whole thing while it's still relatively cold.  Fortunately my house it pretty well insulated so the temp has been holding steady, but I'd like to have some heat until that time. Thanks for all the help, in advance.  Don't know where homeowner's like myself would be without it.

Colleen 
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• vaporvac
    Options
    HELP! Do YOU recognize this valve!

Is anyone there or have I stumped you all?  Could this be a sticky valve and if so, what can I do to fix it or replace it?  I do believe it's getting power.  The pilots are lit and the water level is good. Help!
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    If you need a gas valve

It has nothing to do with your new boiler. You need a valve for your current boiler. It needs installed by a professional and it will be thrown away when you get a new boiler.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • vaporvac
    Options
    thanks!

for your reply.  When I said replace the whole thing, I meant sticking it out until I could replace the whole boiler.  I wasn't thinking about replacing this mechanism on my own.  I also wanted feedback as to how I might "unstick" it or really just any input.

Does anyone recognise this valve?  the other "thing" to the right of it is called the "gasometer" and I'm not sure what it does.  Any thoughts?   I was just trying to save a dime, but thanks to Charlie's comment, I realizeeach boiler's valves are unique and not interchangeable.  Not sure where I could get a replacement for this old thing. I'll keep looking.

Colleen
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    In MA they can only be purchased by licensed

persons. Either a gas tech or a plumber. Their wholesaler will have a cross reference for a valve that will work.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.