Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If there is a 3" header should I pipe in 2 - 2" risers?

Options
I have been in the heating industry for over 15 yrs and I have not been around you Dan enough... I miss your consulting @ the Prudential in Boston... Anyway I have a friend of mine ask for some help and I found that he bought a 150+yr old Victorian several years ago... The boiler is a peerless model and has only one riser on it... He ran out of oil and of coarse I said I would help out... Now when I got there I noticed right away that there was a three inch header with two 2-1/2" supplies off it... The thing that struck me right off was that there was only one two inch riser off the boiler...?  I changed the filter that was at the burner...(nice but rare) and the oil line though poly protected was a single line overhead... which had lost prime, but never ran out of oil in the tank, came close... 275 gallon / vertical 1998 fuel storage tank... Back to my discovery... My friend Scott was present the whole time curious and full of info for me... Once I started the boiler I noticed in short time it was very loud so I checked the flame and needless to say even after the initial air adjustments found I needed to down firer the boiler... 6" breech and stack temp of 550 degrees F.  the pump pressure was 140 and .85 - 60 degree solid nozzle... The water in the sight glass was bouncing allot and eventually went below low water level in the sight glass...Than Scott informed me that he has had problems with water coming out of his radiators on the first floor...Next he shows me auto water feeder that was replaced before he moved in...We have now eliminated this problem by filling every week if needed when he flushes the low water cut-off anyway... Right away I changed the size of the nozzle and angle... Finally after getting the boiler eff% to 851/2 the stack temp was 325-350 degrees now... The water level now stays relatively in the upper 3/4 area of the sight glass...still bouncing up and down 1-1/2" + or - 1/2" ( Due to the Tankless coil I explained to him he needs to keep the water level at least a inch or two above the coil for more eff% transfer of heat for domestic water temps... My main question is: Should I add another 2" riser since there is only one..?  It takes roughly 30 minutes run time to heat and satisfy the t-stat when the house is up to temperature...  The other thing is that the pipe insulation was removed because of being made of that wonderful asbestos material... Now we will have re insulate the complete basement to sustain a longer lasting system temp between cycles... Now it cools right down because of lack of insulation in the entire structure... Either way I think by making these improvements I will be able to get the run time still down another 10 to 15 minutes more...  I am working now on heat loss and design making sure that there is enough radiater square inches to meet the complete system design... Dan Thanks for being here for us passionate steam guys!!! Still have my Dead man hat can't wear it because its pretty bad... Time I think to checkout another one... Again thanks for your help Dan the Steam Man!!!  Rayzorman7
This discussion has been closed.