Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 or Buderus?

Options
maine
maine Member Posts: 4
Our boiler is shot and we are trying to decide whether to replace it with a System 2000 or a Buderus. The quote for the System 2k is approximately $8k, while the quote for the Buderus is about $10k. I have confidence that both companies would do a good job with the install. And so my question is: what system is better? I define better along three metrics: how long will it last? how efficient is it? how much maintenance will it require? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    No pricing please

The rules of the site are: Please be nice; don't discuss pricing, and don't post advertisements.

Both systems have a good reputation. Did each of the contractors do a heat loss calculation of your home? Did then mention a chimney inspection or relining?
  • maine
    Options
    Contractors

...did not do a heat loss evaluation. Neither said anything about the chimney, though we just bought the house and had the chimney inspected.

Thoughts?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    What are....

the details of you house? Size? Type of Radiators? What is in there now? Bathrooms? # of kids? # of zones? Is Nat gas available?
  • maine
    Options
    House

Our house is 3200 sqft; currently using 3 heating zones (one for each floor); forced hot water base boards; four bedrooms; no kids at the moment, but will be in the future; natural gas not an option (unfortunately); we have a failing Burnham V-14-a-t
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    What model Buderus? and chimney

From the prices you gave, I think the System 2000 contractor gave you a price for an EK1 and the Buderus company gave you a quote for a larger boiler.  You need to determine which size boiler will be sufficient to heat your home.  Maybe the Buderus contractor based his sizing by the size of your present boiler?  That may be too big; has there been new windows or insulation added?

I would recommend that you have the chimney lined with a stainless steel liner (smooth wall) if it is not already there. The stainless steel liner is able to better handle condensation than a terracotta liner especially if it is old.
  • maine
    Options
    Buderus

The recommended Buderus model is the G-115-4.

Does the chimney liner change you recommend impact my decision, or is it simply better regardless?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    As a homeowner, not a contractor, I suggest ...

... that you dump both contractors and get one that does do a heat loss. I have no confidence in contractors who do no heat loss (for hot water; different techniques are required for steam).
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    System 2000

Hands down in my book
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I'll

second the vote of "No Confidence". You either get it right now, or you live with it. Did either contractor sit down with you and discuss current levels of comfort in the home?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    Ill ask....

Where in Maine.?
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Both

I would recommend a chimney liner with both brands unless the terracotta/chimney there is relatively new.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sure you need a new boiler?

HO here; just wondering what the diagnoses were of the two contractors about your old boiler. If you re-insulate THEN do a heatloss, you may be able to use a smaller boiler. It's spring in 5-6 weeks. Can you tough it out and in spring re-insulate, do a blower door test, catalog your entire system--radiator sizes, locations, pipe runs and sizes etc., do heat loss and THEN install a boiler in the summer? Are those two bids comparable apples to apples. include indirect for domestic hot water, all required permits, etc?
  • Steve_152
    Steve_152 Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2012
    Options
    system 2000

i will 2nd.   the  new jersey made  system  2000...have  installed  & serviced  many over the years...very  economical....very efficient..BUT  get some one to do a heat loss,  &  have old chimney lined,   will be much better  & also  code  issue in  Maine if  present chimney  not in really good shape...//  if  "home inspector"   looked at chimney,    have a  chimney mason   inspect it ... PLEASE  for your own safety, as  most  "home inspectors"  do not  really do  very  thorough  job,  just my   $.02   worth...the   person  that inspected  my house  30 years ago  knew less than  me,  & my  knowledge  was  only  heat...&   plumbing....
This discussion has been closed.