Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In a perfect world...

Options
HenryT
HenryT Member Posts: 128
are we suppose to hear air escaping through the radiator?

Does that mean I do not have enough main venting? I currently have a menorah set up with 3 gorton #2 on the mains.  the radiators are fitted with gorton c, d, and 6's.

Thanks!

Comments

• FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Radiator Venting

In theory, the radiator vent should allow the cold air inside the radiator to leave so the steam can enter.  Once the steam hits the vent, however, the steam is supposed to cause the vent to close.  If air is escaping as the radiator warms, that is okay.  If the radiator is hot and the vent is hot and the vent is emitting steam rather than cold air, then the vent has failed to close and steam is escaping when it should not.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Air

I have Hoffman 1As on all of my rads and sometimes I'll hear a faint hiss when the system is filling with steam from some of them if the house is completely silent (3AM-4AM) and I'm sitting by a radiator.

Most of the time I don't hear any of them when the boiler is on.  However, I do hear many of them hiss when the boiler shuts off and the steam condenses in the radiators causing a vacuum.  The hissing at that point lasts a good 10-15 seconds and is very noticeable.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Perfect World

Henry is your boiler oversized for the amount of radiation you have. If so that will cause the vents to hiss. My boiler is sized right for my home and my vents never make a sound.
  • HenryT
    HenryT Member Posts: 128
    Options
    thanks

thanks everyone.,
This discussion has been closed.