Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air problem

Options
shorti
shorti Member Posts: 10
Just installed a new boiler.  One of the zones t-stats will not get up to temperature.  There does not seem to be much temp drop across supply and return.  Almost seems like the heat is not transferring.  Tried purging numerous times.  The loop has approx. 30' baseboard and an 8400 BTUH kickspace heater.  The feed and return piping seems very hot everywhere.  The boiler runs to limit shuts down, cools, and runs back to limit.  Is it air?  Driving me nuts.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Is

that loop 1/2" copper or pex?
  • shorti
    Options
    shorti

3/4 pex
  • shorti
    Options
    shorti

3/4 pex
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Are

the baseboards getting hot, and the kick-space heater blowing hot?
  • shorti
    Options
    shorti;'s air problem

They are warm but I don't think they are as hot as they should be.
  • shorti
    Options
    shorti;'s air problem

They are warm but I don't think they are as hot as they should be.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Got pictures??

Purging is different for each system...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• shorti
    Options
    shorti air problem

here is a picture of the return side.  The purges are built on the isolation flange above the pump and the bottom side of the pump are isolation flanges with flo checks built in.  Maybe I need more pump?  I calculate my approximate load @ 32,000 btuh.  3.2 GPM @ 7.8'.  The 007 should take care of this. 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Missing valve...

You MUST purge THROUGH the pump. Pumps with integral checks are very subject to air binding, partial or completely.

If you have one more ball valve between the boiler and the common return, you'd be able to purge through the lower drain valve (purge cock).

No easy fix for your situation. If you could flip flop the iso flange with the purge flange, you stand a better chance of at least getting the pump completely purged.

Another thing to try, quickly close the iso flange with just that pump running, and see if you can hear a HISSSsss as the valve closes off. If no, then it is not moving (much) water. If yes to the hiss, then it indicates it is moving water.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.