Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

9 units

Options
jrbayside
jrbayside Member Posts: 81
found the cold riser, leaves the boiler hot, makes long horizontal run, Would any type of vents help the problem. Stays hot until it turns vertical.

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    ?

Huh?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    If

you mean there is 9 families without heat, I suggest you use the "Find a Contractor" section. It is not something that can wait.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    9 units-1pipesteam problems

I looked over your other posts and I think you need to give us some more information on this system :

1.what is the pressure shown on an accurate low-pressure gauge? Gaugestore.com-1-3psi needed).

2.what main(not rad) vents do you have and can you tell the back-pressure of venting in ounces, (another reason to get the gauge).

3.what make of boiler is feeding the system?

4.what sort of control is firing the system-thermostat? Is is properly located and set for steam?

5.a tall riser can be vented more quickly, but in your case I think there may be an air-lock preventing the steam from getting past the elbow-building settlement?--NBC
  • jrbayside
    Options
    9 units

there is heat in entire building, 1 cold riser to 3 floors that causes 1 rad in each apt not to get hot
  • jrbayside
    edited February 2012
    Options
    9 units

dont have a low pressure gauge, wiel mclein egh 125, air lock is possible, but how to fix?

It is a tall vertical, after the horizontal.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    Cold riser

Remove the vent from one of the radiators on that riser.  Cycle the boiler.  If the radiator  gets hot, your problem is poor vents.  Replace them.

If it doesn't get hot, your problem is in piping.  There is either a problem with the pitch in the runout to the riser, allowing it to trap water, or the riser/runout is too small. 

If the pitch is okay, try using slower vents on the other risers to encourage steam to travel into the cold riser.

This discussion has been closed.