Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler seal repair

hey guys....I have a very good long time customer who needs to gain some time on her boiler...3 section burnham aprox 70000 btus hot water...no tankless, oil fired..she has a small weep in middle section when boiler fires....has anyone used the boiler seal that you add to the boiler......can i get 2 to 3 months out of it if it does work......any help is greatly apriecieated.....thanks mike

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    if it's

the "V" series casting issue, I have had little to no luck with sealer, and I have tried.  The cast flexes just enough to open and weep again. If this was a pin hole or something else, I have never had Sid's Perma-Weld fail me, but that horizontal hairline crack that you are talking about is a no win situation. Have you looked into warranty? 
  • boiler seal

its around 15 years old i havent done any looking into warranty i just assumed its out
  • billtwocase
    for what they will do for you

i would replace it with something else. 
  • boiler seal

yeah i am going to but she is going away and wants to get 2 to 3 months before she replaces it....just looking to buy a little time
  • boiler seal

yeah i am going to but she is going away and wants to get 2 to 3 months before she replaces it....just looking to buy a little time
  • billtwocase
    always worth a try

but I would make sure it has a low water cut off at least. 
  • boiler seal

good point....thanks
  • JeffGuy
    JeffGuy Member Posts: 81
    I wouldn't

I had a bad leak in my 1945 5-section Smith boiler that developed in January of last year and I faced a similar problem. I considered putting some type of sealer in it, but decided it could get too much gunk in my pipes that could come back to haunt me once it was replaced with a stainless mod-con (where everyone seems to worry about passage size).

Instead I drained enough water so that the water wasn't forcing its way out, used grinding wheels to rough up the 12" crack, and used quickset JB Weld epoxy. I didn't want to wait for the slower set type. Believe it or not it worked, and got me through the winter (I had to repeat once when the first patch eventually gave out as the crack moved further). I was lucky the crack was accessible and not between sections.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    same here

My father in law used epoxy to fix his V-75. Lasted at least 3 years. Finally went with the warranty replacement and that's been going for at least 10 years now.
This discussion has been closed.