Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natl grid mandating that skim port be attached to header

KnaveP
KnaveP Member Posts: 21
Can someone please answer this question. Is it true that National Grid instruct plumbing companies on how to pipe boilers?

The following statement is from a plumbing company that installs skim ports on the header.

"As per National Grid’s instruction to the plumbing companies we are supposed to install the skim port where it is."

I thought the NYC/NYS codes dictates how boiler should be piped.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    how

about manufacturer specs?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Ask them

to see that in writing . I haven't heard of this requirement . Why would anyone want to put a skim port in the header when most if not all new steamers have a dedicated port built in ?

Like lchmb mentioned , following the manufacturer's instructions is always the way to go for steam piping .
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds like

Big brother has spoken. They don't know about what though
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,241
    edited February 2012
    NationalGrid

No New York City licensed Master Plumber is going to let NationalGrid tell him where to place a skim tapping on his boiler installation. 

This would be dictated by code.  New York City doesn't specify a location for the skim port on a small residential boiler, and in our experience NationalGrid doesn't care if there is one or not, much less where we put it.  In fact, most of there people wouldn't know one if they hit their heads on it.

So the decision would be that of the installing fitter. If he deviates from the manufacturer's recommendation he should have a letter from the manufacturer assuring the customer that such deviation is acceptable to  them and will not void their warranty.

From time to time we obtain such letters and have no problem producing them when customers ask why we do something differently from the manufacturer's recommendation.  We were even successful in having one manufacturer change their literature after inspectors questioned an improved accepted piping practice.   Often the instructions show a minimum requirement and our installations at times exceed these -- hence the need for the documents.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Speaking/Spoken:

More like one half wit, listening to another half wit, who heard a rumor about something that they know nothing about. Then, passing it around as fact.

I've called boards on more than one occasion about some recent code change, and told that what I was hearing was absolutely not true.

When in doubt, go to the source. Don't spread falshoods.
This discussion has been closed.