Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

bronze fittings and copper fittings

Options
heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
when will you use bronze fittings, such as tee, when will you use copper tees?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Use them wherever you want/need....

Brass is typically used to make adaptions between copper and steel pipe. It provides a means of dielectric isolation that a straight copper to steel connection won't.

Although NOT considered an issue in a true closed loop system (oxygen necessary to complete the corrosion battery) I have seen boilers with really strange looking corrosion on them that had straight dissimilar metal mixes (copper to steel). Avoidance is cheap.

You should probably google "How to solder copper pipe" while you are asking questions....

ME

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Options
    Bronze..

I use cast bronze when I want strength. Is that what you meant cast bronze? Generaly, any fittings where something will hang from it. Brass is pretty strong but you can;t find it anymore. Like brass female adapters for Hammer arresters or whatever. You can still find some bronze fittings like Tees which serve the purpose.

Since they started making all this stuff in China, it has become a bit of a crap shoot. I'm not that sure if cast bronze is any stronger than copper at this point.
This discussion has been closed.