Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

$250 for a Thermostat?

Options
Steve_175
Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
Seems a little pricey but they are sold out at the moment.

Wonder how effective the self programing would be with an erratic schedual.

<a href="http://www.nest.com/">http://www.nest.com/</a>

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Thermostat values:

With the Honeywell, you get a lot of equipment and it does a lot of stuff. I'm guessing that the other thermostat is a "Nest". It only does one thing. Control the heat or cooling or whatever. To compare a "Nest" to the Honeywell listed is like comparing avacados to bananas. Both grow in the tropics.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Options
    Nest

Actualy the honeywell that was posted does is not the right one to compare as it is not wi fi enabled.

To be clear I'm not a nest fan boy. Since Im a water heats best full reset control believer, I don't have a lot of options when it comes to thermostats. I like thermostats that can talk to each other and the boiler with more than just on/off as instruction.

The ability to shift a reset curve as opposed to turning circulation on/off is really crucial to leveraging the efficincy of water distribution systems. Honeywell has such a system is called the aq2000, but as far as I know there is not an wi fi interface available. Tekmar of course has been doing this for a long time but thier internet interface options are very expensive.

If nest or Ecobee or another tec savy company offered a wi-fi enabled stat with zone sync and 0-10v boiler control and some pump relays etc. at an affordable price...

The nest has a lot of features that (for a highly responsive air distribution systems ) make a lot of sence, occupancy sensors and self programming scedualing are totally unique to this device. The idea of creating a user interface that is elegant and simple to use is very compelling. I think rejecting this product as a glitzy overpriced gizmo is shortsighted. Design does mater and thermostats are often required in conspicuous locations. Don't be hating on the nest, it's a step in the right direction, technology is only as good as the user experience, that's how a little startup in California became one of the worlds most valued companies.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    The idea of creating a user interface that is elegant and simple to use is very compelling.

The thing is that the thermostats they made 30 years ago fulfill that requirement just fine for my radiant slab zone. I cannot really use setback there, so a simple on-off thermostat will do just fine, provided I set the outdoor reset curve correctly, which I have now done. This winter has not been cold enough to fine tune it at the lowest end, but works just fine all the way down to the design temperature. I happen to have a fancy setback thermostat that I installed before I knew any better, so I will not bother to change it out.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    thermostat selection

too bad the nest cannot do all things for all systems. maybe V 2.00 will be more adaptable to our sorts of heating control.

if i could have any input into the design philosophy of the control system manufacturers, i would ask for the following features:

1.controlled by a pc connected, [or not] to the internet, or by its native control panel.

2.sensors [inside and outside] should talk to each other through wi-fi, or through the house wiring [remember old radio shack plug and talk intercoms].

the present selection of controls is like the early days of pc's. all ms-dos machines were slightly different, and software was not easily transferred from one to the other.

now we have been so used to the ease of using, and modifying computers, that we get frustrated when we deal with proprietary control systems.--nbc
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Wireless Wi-Fi Honeywell Thermostats:

But Honeywell does have a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat system. I have a friend who has one and there were three on the store managers desk that had been ordered for someone. They are out there and available.
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Nest VS Honeywell

Looks like things are getting a little ugly between the two of them.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57373660-76/nest-vows-to-fight-honeywell-thermostat-suit/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Options
    T87

The original T87 was designed by Henry Dreyfuss in 1953. The nest is clearly inspired by this design classic, I could see how this and all of the buzz around nest could generate some animosity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Dreyfuss

Did a little reading about Honywell and I'm not feeling very sorry for them.

In December 2011, the non-partisan organization Public Campaign criticized Honeywell International for spending $18.30 million on lobbying and not paying any taxes during 2008-2010, instead getting $34 million in tax rebates, despite making a profit of $4.9 billion, laying off 968 workers since 2008, and increasing executive pay by 15% to $54.2 million in 2010 for its top 5 executives.[35]
This discussion has been closed.