Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex radiant help request

Options
hi all, I'm currently renovating a 1840 colonial in the Hudson valley, ny. House currently has a oil fired hot water system with radiators. As I have whole house open, would like to remove radiators on first floor and install pex radiant under the wood floors.

Ideally I'd like to get the pex all in position and run to boiler (c2007 peerless) then get a real plumber in to make connections.

Can you recommend a calculation on how much to install? Do i double up near windows? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    DIY radiant

I think whoever makes the final connections should have a hand in this design, if he would be expected to guarantee his work. Are the existing radiators in the way, or is there some other reason to use underfloor radiant?

There are some excellent books here in the store, which would give you some ideas.--nbc
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Radiant DYI

Most if not all contractors would and should refuse to connet DYI radiant. By law in our area, we are responsible for the whole functionning of the installation. It is a whole can of worms and lawyers when something does not work right!

We refuse to connect any DYI and even hot water tanks that were not sold by us.
  • Rich_L
    Rich_L Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I Agree

I couldn't agree more with the two gentlemen above, Mike. And please understand, It's not necessarily about the money. As soon as I touch your install it becomes my system and I'm assuming responsibility for any mistakes you make. Come next winter when you may have areas not heating properly the first call you'll make will be back to me to complain that the system I hooked up is not working right. Likely you'll tell your family and neighbors too. When I have to charge you for the service you'll complain that I'm not properly standing behind my work when in reality I may be re-doing something you did. If you were to take it to court a judge could side with you and say as the pro, I should know better than to trust a non-professionals work and by just touching it I assume liability for the proper operation of your system.

This may seem extreme but it's all happened. As a professional I stand behind every system I install and start-up. If there's ever a hic-cup I'll come back and make it right. The only way I can do that is if I complete the entire system, from design and install to start up and shaking your hand at the completion of the job and leaving a happy, comfortable homeowner. It's the way I do business.

BTW I agree with NBC above. Why take out the radiators? Those babies, working properly, can make for a VERY comfortable home. Maybe you can just have the system re piped as necessary?

Regardless of what path you choose, I wish the best of luck to you and your project!

Rich L
  • PeterNH
    PeterNH Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2012
    Options
    finding heating help is possible

Mike, a whole house pex radiant system is a pretty complex animal and there is a lot that can easily go wrong.

I agree with NBC, that a professional should be consulted with, ahead of time.

There are professional firms (and books) that can help you with the design.

http://www.nrtradiant.com/

http://www.hydronicpros.com/

After that, if you don't live in a lawyer infested state, then i think you can find a heating pro that will work with on sharing the work and responsibility load.

Peter
  • PeterNH
    PeterNH Member Posts: 88
    edited February 2012
    Options
    deleted

double clicked
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Best in Hudson Valley

Contact Advanced Radiant Design in Stone Ridge, NY. John Abularragh is the owner and one of the best radiant contractors you'll find.
This discussion has been closed.