Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will Boiler Come Apart?

BrianCNY
BrianCNY Member Posts: 26
Hi All

I have a cast iron boiler from the 1940's that's uninstalled in my basement.

It looks like it's in 5 sections and held together by a metal rod on the front and back, but, I am only guessing since I have no idea how these are made.

I attached a picture showing the rod on the back.

I'd like to get this out of the basement and it would be much easier in pieces.

My question is . . . . If I undue the rods, and presumably use a hammer, will the sections come apart?

Thanks . . . Brian

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Hammers and wedges...

Yes, it will come apart. You have to "coax" it using an 8 pound maul, and wood splitting wedges.

They will calve off like loaves of bread, so be prepared to jump quick when it start shedding pieces.

To make it even easier, you could break the sections into even smaller pieces by continually hammering with the sledge on a given line until it starts sounding hollow, then give it a good hard smack and it will break in half.

Be prepared for a muddy mess. There are years of rust in those sections..

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Dirty Jobs

It's a job for Mike Rowe. Wear old clothes.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    old boiler

There are guys that haul junk and scrap - call one of them and they should remove it for free just for the scrap.  Scrap metal is going for about $1 for ten pounds.
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77
    Removve for scrap

I wish I could find someone that will remove it for scrap but around here I still have to pay the guy if he has to break it up and haul it up the basement stairs.  He generally wants a hundred bucks but he does a neat job and cleans up after himself.  At my age a hundred bucks is a bargain compared to a couple weeks of back pain and a bottle of Vicoden.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    also

can be a dangerous job. Once the front or rear section comes off, it's game on. I generally use an old shower liner with plenty of old newspaper under the boiler. You will want to block up the middle sections. The legs are front and back sections, so there will be no support one it is separated. It's also a good idea to just loosen the bolts as opposed to totally removing them at first, and once the first section is off, tie a rope around the others to have control. This is also mainly if it is only you or have just one other set of hands.  Good luck
  • BrianCNY
    So many good ideas . . .

All are good ideas and I want to thank each and every

one of you for taking the time to read my post and reply.

I truly appreciate your help.

Brian
  • AlfredE
    AlfredE Member Posts: 17
    Insurance?

If anyone comes in your house to demo and remove make sure they have the proper insurance.  Safety as well as proper tools and knowledge/experience are key.
  • BrianCNY
    Insurance is a great idea

Thanks for mentioning this.

I also have a liability release specifically for boilers. Someone purchased one from me last year and I had them sign this. It's not a rock-solid solution to being sued, but it can help.

I attached a sample release, but not sure if it will be readable.

If anyone wants a modifyable version of the release as a Word documnent, email me and I will send it to you.

Thanks again . . . Brian
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Be Careful!

When breaking up cast iron. Shards can come off with near bullet-like velocity and stick  in your legs. Wear Eye protection too! Same for lookie-loo bystanders.
This discussion has been closed.