Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED an economical electrically-controlled VALVE

gfehr
gfehr Member Posts: 1
Fabricating an outside (of course!) solar heater for my in-basement swimming pool.  Running 3/4" pex lines to/from outside collector.  Looking for an in-line valve that can be opened and closed by an electric snap switch, preferable 12V or 24V.   Snap switch would do the decision-making, but ideal would be to "open the valve" at 110F and close at 90F.  Valve should either be open 100% or closed 100%.  Problem is I haven't found a type and source electrically controlled valve.  Helpful hints?

Comments

• Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    try a regular zone valve

If you use a zone valve, you also have the benefit of the end switch.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Piping

Most solar collectors have an output far greater than 110 degrees output, requiring copper piping, not PEX. The PEX will fail if temps exceed 180.
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Commercial washing machin solenoid valves.

I have a couple of Burkert 0281 series 1" NPT solenoid valves I pulled off of a commercial clothes washer out of a junkyard.  24 VAC coil, good for 230 psi  Check your local scrap yard for treasures.

Because you are talking swimming pool, I would steer clear of stainless steel. 

Something to think about, older Mercedes vehicles used to use a external three port thermostat housing.  Perhaps that could be included to provide a constant temperature recirc function.

For the safety of you and your family, make sure you properly electrically bond all of the metallic parts to EACH OTHER and also the earth.

It sounds like a interesting project.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.