Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper means of ACH

MacPHJr
MacPHJr Member Posts: 66
The town in which we are bidding a project requires the renovation/addition have an ACH of .35 by a mechanical ventilating system. This is being enforced for the town's board of health. What is the proper way to achieve the .35 ACH?

Comments

• Tim P._3
    Tim P._3 Member Posts: 50
    Ah yes.. mechanical ventilation

..because people can't be trusted to open windows.

I have seen the bathroom fans put on automatic timers.  The air exhausted is replaced by infiltration.

Or, you can use a HRV.
  • MacPHJr
    Basement Renovation

This will be a basement renovation with only two small windows and no bathrooms. Its going to be a home theater.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited February 2012
    Exhaust fan...

Calculate the volume of the room, and multiply times .35, then find an exhaust fan that can move that many CFM;s to meet their needs.

If you have a lot of watts going into this room, you may need to ventilate it to keep it decent anyway.

In your heat loss calculations for this space, yo may already be providing adequate ACH just through normal infiltration, and may not need any additional mechanical air changes, but if you do, just make up the difference..

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MacPHJr
    Thanks for the advice

Thank you both for the advice. I have been told that an ERV would work as well, especially with wintertime humidity, but on the other hand we are in the Boston area and a HRV seems more appropriate. Any advice on what type of unit to use?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I've been told..

That the difference is in transferring humidity. If humidity control is important, ERV, if not, HRV.

Both require regular maintenance (filter changes).

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.