Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

if I didn't already own my money pit

Options
Thought you all might like to drool over this house, looks like it needs 2 steamers to keep it going. Its located a few miles away from me in Harrisburg PA.

Enjoy,

<a href="http://listings.listhub.net/pages/CPMLPA/10217993/?channel=trulia">http://listings.listhub.net/pages/CPMLPA/10217993/?channel=trulia</a>

The home was called Breeze Hill, and was originally a test garden for the American Rose Assoc.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited February 2012
    Options
    what a beauty!

whoever buys it will need consulting] from you on its steam system. looks as if it may have metal roofing [a real plus!!!!]. that would be a real temptation. how much was it worth when values were high i wonder?--nbc
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Don't let Dave see it

Looks mostly original.  What a great find.  Two-pipe air vent system, that place is old/old. 
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    yep metal roof

Originally listed (about a year or so ago at 399,000) It was shown on our local tv here awhile ago, just came up in conversation today, and I thought everyone here might appreciate it. Its immediate neighborhood is lovely, but just a stone's throw can be questionable. I'd love to know if the 2 boilers are set up on zones, or if it just takes 2 to heat the place. Its hard to tell from the pics, but to me it looked like a 1 pipe system, maybe I'm mistaken. I've been tempted to call my realtor to schedule a showing, but even I think that's wrong, if they'd just have an open house I could justify gawking :) I'm glad you all enjoyed taking a peek at the home, its rare to see a home so "untouched"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    A private showing

If the agent has half a brain, he would love to show it to someone who will broadcast it far and wide here!

I looked at the pictures but did not see enough of the radiators to identify the system even as 1 or 2 pipe. It is amazing that it seems not to have been changed much from when it was first built.--nbc
  • SteamBeez
    SteamBeez Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Restorers dream

Thats an amazing house and in its unmolested state, a restorers dream. Wish it was in my neck of the woods. Not that I have the time or money though.

I hope whoever buys it doesn't gut it and fill it with Chinese made fixtures and vinyl windows....
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Beautiful!!

What a wonderfully preserved old Italian Villa!  And, it is a rather unusual approach to that design.  Amazingly intact!  I would guess the reason for the two steamers is that when the old snowman needed to be replaced, they removed the "snow" from it, but kept it in place, then piped in a new gas fired unit, which appears to be a Burnham IN model.

Sorry Crash...  I meant to comment before, but got busy, then lost the thread.

I especially appreciate postings of steam systems that include pictures and information about the buildings, afterall, the steam sysem is usually but one facet of an amazing old building.  The owners of such buildings are certainly better off for preserving and maintaining a good old steam system.  The same goes for many other features of the old building too. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.