Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Water Content Comparisons

Dave in QCA
Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
A while ago I gathered a sampling of information to compare the water content of various boilers.  These are mostly in the size range that fit my building, plus or minus a big chunk.  Also added in one megasteam for comparison.

The assumption that is sometimes made that low water content is necessary for energy efficiency apparently does not hold true.  It would appear to be more a matter of cost savings in the boiler manufacture process.

Enjoy!

(This is bad.... when I spend hours putting together the figures, post it on here, and say, "enjoy"!!!  The sad part of the matter is, I know that you all will!  And, I enjoyed putting it together.  It is amazing what some people do for fun!)
Dave in Quad Cities, America
Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
http://grandviewdavenport.com

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Nice

Nice comparison, a lot easier than trying to go between advertisements.

I don't think its bad having time to do this.  I treat my steam heat as more of a hobby than anything and I don't think I'm alone. 

Thanks Dave!
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BrianStMarie
    BrianStMarie Member Posts: 24
    V83?

Did you happen to come across the Burnham V83 at all? I was just about to post asking if anyone know the water capacity of this boiler. I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
  • ChrisJ
    V83

I just removed a V83 from my house in October. If I recall it held either 12 or 14 gallons.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BrianStMarie
    BrianStMarie Member Posts: 24
    Actually

Just found it. V83 is 10.3 gallons for steam, 12.8 for water. I'm assuming with steam, they are measuring to the midpoint of the sight glass. Is that right?
  • ChrisJ
    oops

Sorry bout that, my memory kind of stinks these days.

On the Burnham I believe NWL was approx 3/4 of the way up the gauge glass, NOT 1/2 way like others.
  • What patience and dedication have you!

Those tables of yours are most interesting, but unfortunately my behemoth is not on the list. I notice a big difference now between the present peerless 211a, and the old American standard of similar size: the addition of a gallon of water makes more of a rise in the waterline than with the old. The new design must have much narrower sections, at least in the waterline height.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.