Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil tank piping

sparkie
sparkie Member Posts: 49
I was going to change my piping from bottom of tank to top of tank. I am going to put an anti siphon valve at tank and use 3/8 black pipe as the the siphon tube in the tank, then continue with 3/8 black pipe  into a spin on filter mounted on the  concrete wall, then come off with a tee to water heater and furnace with copper oil line. Firomatics and ball valves as needed. Does this sound ok, or am i missing something? Would i need a tiger loop on each burner?   Thanks for any input on this.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    tank piping

Is there a reason that you need to switch the feed from the bottom of the tank to top?  Why not a double tap bushing, use the black iron pipe inside the tank as a guide for the copper line, and put the filters at the burner? Use all flare fittings of course, and "T" off at the burners. Black pipe out of the tank, and a secured filter at the wall has no "give."  Give is good when there is potential for vibration, and all black iron piping for suction can be a pain if an air leak is present. You don't need tiger loops here, JMO. 
  • sparkie
    more about the piping.....

The reason i am going to a "top of tank" suction line is mainly enviromental. In my setup, i am able to install a pre-fabbed  manifold on the wall  to hold the filter which will work out nicely. Few questions though. I read the discussion about filters you guys had  on or about Jan 21st. I see there is a strong difference of opinion about which type to use. As far as canister type filters, i think the general filter is is very good. Then its Garber for spin on. The problem i hear around here with spin -ons, is that they are hard to get off. This may be due to  over tightening. Im running  2 burners off one filter have never had an issue, but do you think since im re- doing the piping anyway, i should put a seperate filter for each burner?(water heater and furnace) 

Any problem with using 3/8 black pipe off a double tap bushing as the suction tube in the tank? Am also going to put an anti siphon valve on top of tank. Tigerholm makes one for this purpose, but i havent been able to find one. From that valve to filter manifold will be copper, then  after filter, copper to the burners.

Thank you for your  input!

• billtwocase
    putting copper after

the 1st shut off to the wall where the filter is mounted will be a good thing. Keep in mind that mounting the filter to the wall will most likely make replacing it annually a messy job. The black iron piping has the potential to create air leaks. There will be more connections then if it came out copper tubing to the 2 valves, (here in Mass) to the filter. If things are not right, one burner will rob from the other. What is the enviromental reason? If you are concerned, leave it bottom feed, and add an OSV after the filter.
  • sparkie
    question about OSV

Ive been told that installing on OSV can put undue stress on the pump and lead to premature pump failure. Any thoughts on this? It also seems that  the proper place for OSV is AFTER the filter. This gives no protection against filter failure. Ive talked to tech support at Suntec and they informed me that it is ok to put OSV before filter, so long as its flushed properly at each filter change. Just wanted to get your opinion on this.   thanks
  • billtwocase
    total opposite

Installing an OSV will help your fuel pump, not hurt it, and you can not install an OSV before a filter. I haven't seen one not lose prime yet set up in that order. The filter needs to be before the OSV
This discussion has been closed.