Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

small leak stain around boiler base?

Options
I have a oil burner steam system for a 2 family house. Last month the water began pushing up into the radiators because the water level "somehow" got too high and cut off the steam. It made a water stain at the base at that time. We had our oil company come in and replaced the shut off valve to where the hot water use to come out of the system for household use. Since then we shut off that valve and only use the hot water tank and NOT the boiler for hot water. Today a month later after the boiler been working fine I found a 8 inch around stain at the base of the boiler like it leak over night when the system wasn't running because it was a warm evening. Is this 8 water stain going to reoccur until its a big problem, can I use stop leak? Can I finish this heating season out like this?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    need pics

The leak could be anything, and we would rather narrow it down for you. Does it have a tankless coil that is no longer in use?
  • brooklyngreg
    brooklyngreg Member Posts: 4
    Options
    coil not in use

Thanks a million for responding. We do not use the coil for hot water any more and the coil is inside the tank but the valve is turned off sto it, so no water can enter. Not sur ewhy there would suddenly be a small water stain, the system did cool off all night because it was warm outside.

Its been working fine giving heat only and the furnace only comes one 2- 3X a day and evening.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Cold supply

is shut off. How about water under pressure coming back from the water heater?Trace the piping to the heater, and see if it's possible.
  • brooklyngreg
    brooklyngreg Member Posts: 4
    Options
    water trikling down right footing under boiler

there still is a cold water feed to the circulation pump, the trickling stopped last night and still has still not re-occurred. I have a feeling when the unit gets cold from less use it triggered the leak.
This discussion has been closed.