Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel oil filter gasket question

D-man
D-man Member Posts: 17
I have a fuel oil filter gasket that leaked.  The filter assembly was several years old and the gasket has a red dye marking on the side and was found to be slightly larger than the replacement gasket (that came with a brand new filter and also had a red marking on the side).   Do the gaskets having a red mark only come from the filter mfg? 

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    What probably happened.....

was the gasket wasnt seated properly, or the filter wasnt tightened properly, and leaked.  The gasket is bigger from swelling or mis-alignment.  When you say the filter assembly is several years old, i hope you dont mean the filter hasnt been changed for several years. But otherwise, everything should be fine, if properly installed

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• D-man
    D-man Member Posts: 17
    gasket question

Thank you.  The tune up was done 4 days before the leak.  The filter cartridge looks like it had been replaced by the tech, but the gasket--not sure and that is why i am asking about the red dye mark on the side. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    probably what happened

the filter pot was filled, then tightened after? As soon as oil hits that rubber, it expands. I use the bleeder. There is one on every filter. New gaskets, tighten it, then fill thru the bleeder. Much safer. Was there quite a leak? sounds like it
This discussion has been closed.