Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant ceilings in new construction

Options
bld999
bld999 Member Posts: 47
Hi Pros,

I have a sip panel building in my future [once I can quit attending to bilge pumps] and was wondering about your opinions re: pex radiant in drywall ceilings compared to pex in concrete slab on grade, and staple-up with alum plates for a second floor. This is a western Washington location, and I am considering an Altherma ht. pump.

This is largely residential, [~2500sf] some shop space that will be much cooler, etc. Not much detail yet, mostly in my head. I never hear much about radiant celings, and am interested in the apparent quick response times vs. sog installations.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Radiant ceilings are great

Have them love them. Don't have to worry about floor coverings hampering output. Supply temps are low for a well insulated home.  I only use 105* average water temps in a 50's construction home. But you can also have higher outputs compared to radiant floors ( higher surface temps) If need be. Response time is quick. I would still do radiant floors with tiled areas, and baths. I have rooms with both radiant ceilings, and floors.

Gordy
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I agree with Gordy.

I have radiant ceilings, floors walls and windows in two of my houses. I lOVE the radiant ceilings. And when its REALLY cold outside, the floors below the radiant ceilings ARE warm.

And using the Altherma, you present yourself with the possibility of being abel to do radiant cooling as well. An excellent combination IMPO.

Do the calculations, and make sure it is doable.

Also consider Radiant via Warmboard R Panel. Excellent company, and excellent product.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.