Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it too soon to be obsolete?

Options
DOC_Chris
DOC_Chris Member Posts: 4
I work at a state facility. Recently we had our steam system replaced with a condensing boiler hot water system for HVAC and domestic hot water. We had a problem and called the local rep out for a look. He said that a part on our two year old boilers was obsolete, not available and needed an upgrade costing over $5k per boiler (we have about 50 of these boilers). Has this happened to anyone else? How long should a major manufacturer provide parts support for their equipment?

Comments

• ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Options
    Wow

Wow. As far as I understand it, in the USA, there is no legal requirement for parts support. You can check your warantee or contract. It is also common to have insurance like this on your building. If your state is just winging it then I would move.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    second opinion needed

if you describe the problem, then you can have another opinion on the problem. who knows how knowledgeable the rep is?--nbc
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Boiler type?

What is the make and model of the boiler(s)
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    really...

who makes it? I find that hard to believe.
  • DOC_Chris
    Options
    More Info

They are Cleaver-Brooks ClearFire condensing boilers. Models CFC-500-500 and CFC - 700-750, 1000 and 1800. The part they are referring to is the gas valve. The installed is a 24VAC, and the replacement is 120VAC, thus the need to change out the controls. I am just a tech, but my boss is checking with the state contracting department for details about parts support and such.
  • DOC_Chris
    Options
    The problem

The problem we are having is normally we burn natural gas. As a backup we burn propane. The boilers are supposed to be tuned to go from natural gas to propane and back without a problem. During our last test run on propane two of our larger boilers had a backfire that caused a separation of the intake ducting. During troubleshooting the flame rod ignites the natural gas, but soon after the boiler will shutdown with an E02 (loss of flame) error code. the problem persists even after changing out the flame rod. The local rep is claiming that the backfire may have damaged the gas valve. Any other guesses what the problem may be?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    That is odd...

I don't understand why the need to burn 2 different gases.... looks like a problem waiting to happen....and it did.
  • DOC_Chris
    Options
    2 different gasses

The facility is a prison so we have to provide services 24/7. We need the ability to burn two different gasses because if during a cold snap our supplier may ask us to curtail our use (not to mention continuing to provide services during a natural disaster and natural gas is not available). We get a price break from the gas supplier by agreeing to be curtailed when requested to.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Curtailing is common

As you stated, curtailing is very common on high demand systems. Your setup is not uncommon at all. I am extremely familiar with Cleaver Brooks steam boilers, however I have not installed or worked on their condensing hot water boilers. I prefer the Fulton line of high output condensing hot water.

That said, There is nothing overly proprietary about the Cleaver Brooks gas train. They utilize common manufacturer parts.

You are possibly getting some bad advice from a rep. In my humble opinion, he is trying to sell you something.

If you email me by using the contact this user button under my screen name, I can direct you to someone else for a second opinion. In the email, please give me your location and the name of the company that gave you this information.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Flame signal

Flame signal?

If the burner lights off, you know the valve is somewhat functional.

I believe that is a direct fired burner.

The flame signal circuits operate like any other less complicated unit.

Look at grounding, flame rod location, flame character / quality (if it's lifting off the burner, the rod sees that as no flame), ignition cables, fuel pressure, amplifier in the flame safeguard etc..

The gas valve is that last thing I would be looking at.

If it opens for light off, it should stay lit as long as its getting told to stay open.
This discussion has been closed.