Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe venting.

Options
targetman
targetman Member Posts: 105
I want to try to balance out a system that I worked on today.  The third floor does not heat well.  The two main vents are both #4 quick vents.  One main is 4 times the size as the other.  The third floor rads are a mix of old Ideal Air vents? and #1A"s.  What size vents should I consider?   

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Venting

It sounds like all the vents are pretty old and possibly on the small side. If  you can give us the size and approximate length of mains, we can figure out how much venting capacity on each main you will  need.

- Rod
  • targetman
    Options
    main

Unfortunately thats not possible.  I can get rid of the old vents on the third floor. Change them to the 1A's like someone statred to do.  As far as the main vent, I'm going to half to wing it.  I don't know any distributors in my area that carry Gorton vents.  What Hoffman vent has more capacity than the #4 quick vent?  The second and third floors of this building are unoccupied and while remain so.  The first floor is forced air.  Therefore I don't have to nail it perfect.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    pexsupply?

try pexsupply.com

I've used them, great custoemr service, quick delivery, great prices. Not affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.
  • targetman
    Options
    I don't order the parts

The Boss orders the parts. He will only buy local. 
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Vents

You'd probably be okay with Gorton #1 s though since you mentioned that they aren't available local to you and Hoffman is,  Hoffman #75 would be your best bet for main vents. The attachment nipple on the 75 is 3/4"  MPT or 1/2" FPT.

For the radiators Hoffman 1A s (adjustable) are a pretty good bet. If you want more venting on the radiators you will need to go to a Gorton # C or D or a Jacobus (Maid -O-Mist) # C or D

- Rod
  • targetman
    Options
    vents

Thanks Rod.  I just purchased the steam venting chart available here for future use.
This discussion has been closed.