Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Handy tool

Hap_Hazzard
Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
I recently bought a pair of digital cooking thermometers to help in balancing the venting on my two mains. These thermometers have a 4" metal probe with a 4' cord, magnets on the back, and alarm you can set to go off when it reaches a given temperature, so you can insert the probe under the insulation, mount it on a hanger or exposed fitting, set the alarm for 180, and it will go off when the steam reaches that point. They're also useful for letting you know when steam reaches any two radiators, or how long it takes a radiator to fill once it gets there. They also have built-in timers, but I haven't figured out what to use them for yet.

I'm still dreaming of a thermal imaging camera, but at $14.00 a piece, these are pretty useful.
Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    thermometer

I've used one of these in the kitchen for the past 4 years, though I think I paid closer to $30 for it.

So far I hasen't let me down :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Me too

But the wife would've killed me if I'd used the kitchen one for this. When I saw how cheap they were online I decided it was better to buy a pair than incur her wrath. :-)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.