Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to find new radiator valves

Options
Gerry G
Gerry G Member Posts: 48
The guys who were doing a renovation in my house threw out the old steam valve for a big radiator when they replaced it with a smaller radiator.  Turns out that the small sized one won't work and I need to put the old rad back.  But, the new valve won't screw on, as there's not enough thread on the new valve to catch the nut on the old rad. 

I tried to take out the nipple part that goes into the bushing that's in the old rad, but it feels like it's welded in place after all the heating years.  Haven't tried to take off the bushing yet.    Is that the next step, or is there a place I can get old valves that will screw on?  Or do I jury rig it by attaching a 1 1/2 nipple to make it fit?

Pics for reference are attached.  The old radiator is on the left and the newer one is on the right.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Radiator spuds

That fitting sticking out of the radiator is called a spud. There's a special tool you can buy called a spud wrench, but it's not going to help you get them out. In my limited experience they just shear off the lugs. I've never been able to get them out intact, but you might have a chance with the new one.

Here's what I'd do:

First I'd try to get the new spud out of the new radiator with a spud wrench. If the lugs get sheared off, give up and just keep the new valve with the new radiator after you change it out.

If you get lucky and the new spud comes out intact, unscrew the bushing from the old radiator (It's not going to be easy, but it will be a lot easier than getting the spud out of the bushing.) and go buy a new one. (You might be able to get the spud and the bushing apart by heating the bushing after you get it out, but I wouldn't bother. A 1 1/4" x 1" bushing doesn't cost that much, and you can't use that spud anyway.)

If you were not able to get the new spud out, just pick up a new radiator valve. It will come with a new one.

Good luck!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Gerry G
    Options
    Thx

Thanks. That was my next step to try to take out the bushing.

I looked at the other radiators in the house and the valves are made by Kennedy.  I see they're still in business so maybe they have some 50-yr old stock :)
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Spud Removal Trick.

Hi- You might try taking the old spud out first.  Charles Garrity, a steam pro in Mass.,  suggested this method and it worked very well for me.  One of the big problems with trying to remove the spud pipe is that quite often the torque on the spud pipe deforms it so the wrench won't hold. If you take a short pipe nipple, a pipe size smaller than the spud and put it inside the spud, this stops the spud from twisting and deforming.

- Rod
  • Gerry G
    Options
    spud wrench

Silly question - I just looked up a spud wrench, and there are many varieties.  Does the right tool look like a pipe wrench but with straight toothless jaws?

Search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spud+wrench&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=axL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=s6QeT92QNsXv0gGxxdUG&ved=0CIwBEK0E&biw=1280&bih=898
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    Try "radiator spud wrench"

That's more like a monkey wrench. A spud wrench is more like a stepped, tapered metal bar with projections intended to engage the lugs of radiator spuds of different sizes and break them right off. :-)
  • Gerry G
    Options
    Got it

Will give it a shot, although not too hopeful, as I tried to take the bushing out this morning and after several hits of penetrating oil & torching it's not budging at all.  :(
  • Gerry G
    Options
    Mission accomplished

Got the old spud out.  Didn't use the spud wrench on it, since that spud was going to be trashed anyway.  Used a lot of penetrant, heat & a lot of body weight.  The new spud was a piece of cake with the wrench once heated.

System fired up now.  No leaks, nice warm heat again.

You guys are great.  Many thanks.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    No, YOU're great!

I'm impressed! Can I call you next time I need a radiator spud removed? :-)
  • Gerry G
    Options
    LOL

I'll let you know after my back lets me know after today's session :)
This discussion has been closed.