Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil to gas conversion

Options
sab299
sab299 Member Posts: 1
I recently bought a 1930 home with oil-powered radiant steam heat and would like to convert to gas, but have no idea a) if this is possible and b) if so how much to anticipate it costing.  Any thoughts/advice would be welcome. 

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    What kind and how old/

A lot of boilers can be converted to gas but it costs money and may not be very efficient. If the boiler is very old it's probably best to just replace the boiler. That said, what kind of boiler do you have?

I just went through my own cost benefit analysis and i found the cost of gas is a lot less here in the Boston area. I only use about 350 gallons of oil a year so it will take almost 15 years for payback but that oil tank is due for replacement and the boiler is no spring chicken . . .

Post some pictures and let some of the pro's on the board give you the benefit of their experience.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    search

the "find a contractor" section for someone in your area. Have a heat loss done of your house and an assesment of your present heating system. That way you know exactly where you stand and the best way to proceed...
This discussion has been closed.