Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Fired Boiler Short Cycling

Options
JohnnyDebt
JohnnyDebt Member Posts: 10
Hello Everyone,

This site has offered me a wealth of information. And with this information I went and changed the oil filter from my heating system on my own successfully (I hope).  My heating system has always had some weird short cycling issues, however it has never been a nuisance since it probably only short cycled 2-3 times a day.

In these short cycles, there is ample amount of water in the system (1/2 of sight glass) and the pressurestol does not trip (verified voltage with multi-meter). It starts with the boiler firing on due to a call for heat from the thermostat for about 10 seconds, after which the boiler shuts off.  The pressure gauge reads zero, and water in the sight glass remains at 1/2 full. It turns off for about 20 seconds and during this time I took a multi-meter to the pressurestol to check voltage, it reads 120v.  After 20 seconds the boiler fires on and continues to heat the home.  This happens about 2-3 times a day.

After changing the oil filter today, the boiler has been short cycling non stop, perhaps few times a minute.  I shut off the heat because I'm afraid this might lead to a dangerous problem. The boiler will occasionally sustain a heating cycle for the adequate amount of time to create steam, however this is rare.  I engaged in the same test for voltage when short cycling occurs on the pressurestol, and it continually reads 120v.

When changing the oil filter, I turned the oil valve back on and subsequently turned the boiler on.  There was fire initially, however the fire disappears due to the air being in the system after the filter change. I did not bleed the system through the pump. I figured the pump will push the air out of the lines eventually through the burner. After about 20 seconds, the system fired up. Did I damage the burner by not bleeding the system?

After the oil filter change the burner has been short cycling non stop. I am not knowledgable and still hoping to learn.  Since this is a newly purchased home, if this problem can be solved on my own, I would prefer to do it.  However I am open to professionally help if this isn't something I can solve on my own.

It is also worthwhile to mention that the heating system has no way of telling me how much oil I have left in my tank.  The tank is buried underground outside the house, and what I do is place a long wooden stick down the tank and measure the oil line each week to determine the amount of oil. I believe the tank is a 275 gallon horizontal tank, with an oil level measured at 5 inches.  I probably have very little oil left.  Would this also cause the short cycling?

Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    New(older) Home

The first thing you should do is have the boiler professionally serviced. Secondly, around here the banks will not even finance a house with a buried oil tank. The risk of  a huge bill to clean up the mess when (not if ) it leaks, is too great.You will be responsible for removing the contaminated soil ,which could be considerable if it's been leaking for years. The DEP will oversee the clean-up, and with the government involved, you can just imagine the cost.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Your probably

Almost out of oil, for starters. The fuel supply line in an underground tank never goes to the bottom.

I agree with Paul, you need a pro out there.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    You may be

about out of oil. I will echo getting rid of the old underground tank. It sounds like a 2 pipe system,. so it is bleeding itself.Until you upgrade. I would be careful on sticking the tank. I have seen years of that poke a hole on the bottom. Always carefully lower the stick in until it just touches the bottom, don't drop it down and let it bottom out with force. Not saying that is what you are doing, just saying.....
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Short Cycling

It can be:

The low water cut off or water level issues

An aquastat that is not fully immersed or is defective

A primary control that is defective

A Thermostat that has a burned out heat anticipator or the T stat is bad

Loose wires either high or low voltage

Ancient aliens are messing with you
This discussion has been closed.