Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new steam boiler, awful smell (air and water)

Options
kazyak
kazyak Member Posts: 1
HELP please,  a new gas fired Weil Mclain eg50 (187,000 BTU) steam boiler was installed 4 months ago.  it has been drained and skimmed several times. the smell out of the radiator air vents (all new, and set on low due to the smell) is causing a severe problem with my asthma. the only additive put in at installation was one bottle of SQUICK (i had the plumber immediately drain the boiler to get this out even though it says it is not toxic). i have wrapped the air vents with towels in order to sleep in the house. the water that drains out of the boiler is awful!. is there something defective with the boiler? What can i do ?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    how long

Did they skim the boiler and did they flush the returns?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Smelly boiler

The first step upon completion of the boiler installation taken by many is the boiling of a few cups of arm&hammer washing soda in the boiler. While boiling the mixture for several hours, the switch has to be turned off and on to establish a simmer. Then the boiler is skimmed for several hours more to remove any remaining oils on the surface of the water. Your boier installation manual will give even more exact instructions. In the end only water should be in the boiler, free from any additives including squick.

It sounds to me as though the venting of air from your system may be taking place through the radiator vents, instead of through the main vents. Can you locate them and take pictures for us here?

Anything other than water in the boiler is capable of off-gassing (think of month-old ham!).--NBC
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I would drain and flush everything.....

Add some lemon juice. see if that helps.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    What does it smell like?

Can you compare the smell to anything you've ever smelled before? Is your tap water treated in any way (e/g/ softened or filtered), and, if so, is this treatment occurring before or after the supply line to the boiler?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.