Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Size Question

bowman
bowman Member Posts: 20
What type of radiator is this and what is its square feet of EDR?. See attached photo. It is 30 inches tall. Can''t seem to find this style in any of my guides and handbooks.

Thanks

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Never saw one like that before

Looks pretty cool.  Would this heat loss calculater be of any help?  The calculator could tell you the btu loss which you could change into square feet of EDR.  http://wbdg.org/design/midg_design_echp.php
  • Duff
    Duff Member Posts: 61
    now that's a radiator

According to one of Dans books on steam heating square foot of radiation was figured out by filing a vat with a certain amount of paint, dropping the radiator in the vat, lifting in out of the vat and letting in drip dry (plugging all the opeaning of course before hand) figuring out how much paint was now missing from the vat and then take that amount of paint and paint the floor! The amount of surface area that the paint covered in square feet was the square feet of radiation. Now theres a week end project for you.
  • bowman
    Antique Rad Follow-up Question

If no one can find this particular style in any handbook, would an acceptable alternate method of determining EDR be to simply calculate the radiator's total external surface area? Would that yield the proper answer?
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Radiator

I think Dan has a similar Radiator in his Store, i don't have my EDR books in front of me, but ill check when i get back to work tomorrow
  • bowman
    Follow-up

Did you get a chance to consult your books?

Thanks
  • MikeyB
    edited January 2012
    Radiator

Bowman, I apologize, I didn't get a chance to check on it today, ill check in the a.m. Also go to the Resources Tab on the top, then click Library, then click Radiators, you'll find alot of old and hard to find Radiators in this section
  • bowman
    Thanks

Yes. I read every single article and PDF in the Library concerning radiators, so unless I skipped past it I could not find anything right on point concerning this particular antique model.

Thank you. 
  • MikeyB
    edited January 2012
    Radiator

Bowman, i couldn't find anything in my books, you might want to do a site search for Gwen Healy (aka Radiator Ranger) she might be able to help you out, Also I came across a website while doing a google search, a place called A-1 Plumbing Supply in Somerville MA, www.antiqueplumbingandradiators.com , they have a whole lot of used radiators on their site, and one of them looks like the one you have, ill attach their info  and pic, for some reason i cannot attatch the pic of the radiator, try to google their name and search the images,  and i could swear that Dan H. has a similar one in his shop on Long Island
  • bowman
    Okay - Thank you

Thank you very much for taking the time to research this. I will try those folks in Somerville. I know that place because I dropped by there to look around once when I was in the area a few years ago. 
  • MikeyB
    Radiator

Sounds good, if you find out the Make/model/EDR of that Radiator please post it, it would be good info to have
This discussion has been closed.