Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner

wpk100
wpk100 Member Posts: 1
Oil Burner help. Honeywell oil burner relay is constantly turning off my boiler?

My oil company has been here 4

times in the last week to fix my boiler, which goes off all the time. I

can reset it, but this is very frustrating when I wake up to a cold

house. Nothing they do seems to fix this problem. Any

ideas????????????????????

<ol><li>2 days ago</li><li> -

2 days left to answer.

</li></ol>

Additional Details

Thanx

for your responses. The boiler runs for about 2 to 4 hours and then I

notice the temp goes down, so I go into the basement and the boiler is

off and the red light is on at the relay. I can reset it but the same

thing happens again. I assume my oil dealer sends techs that know what

they're doing, but I'm not so sure anymore. The owner of the oil co. was

here today for about 2 hours cleaning the burner etc. Would replacing

the relay help?

2 days ago

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Things to check.

Check the filter in the oil line. If there is gray gunk in the bottom of it you may have water in your tank. If you have water in the tank put some additive in it. Pull out the nozzle and make sure the numbers on it correspond with your boiler model. You would be suprised how many people, when replacing a nozzle, put in what was there before. Also unscrew the nozzle and make sure it's not clogged. Make sure your chimney is not stopped up.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    could be

the cad cell relay, burner motor, fuel pump, and the list can go on. From your bills from them, what have they eliminated? Have they changed all filters, strainer, nozzle, electrode, tested pump pressure/vacuum, tested ignition transformer/ignitor, and so on? Get us some pics and specs
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Failures:

Not having don all the TS on this burner, and assuming that the previous techs did the obvious and know what they are doing, I would suspect that it could be a bad burner motor. If the motor is overheating and running slowly, it may cause the relay to trip out. Sometimes, when a burner starts, you can get intermittent "failure to start" experiences and the motor doesn't start but doesn't trip the thermal overload cut out switch.

I developed a close personal relationship with my Multi-Meter when I had a burner that went out for YEARS. Before I came on the scene and had a Power Venter on it. It had too much draft and I had ti install a second RC. The 60200 control could "see" a draft fluctuation and trip out the control. I only finally figured it out when it was stopping while running while there one day doing something else.

You can help the diagnosis by spending some quality time with your burner and trying to be present when the burner stops and goes out on safety.
This discussion has been closed.