Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whistling boiler

Options
I've just recently noticed, in the past day, that my Lennox boiler whistles briefly (10 to 15 seconds) after firing.  It is from the boiler and not the main vents.  Any ideas what this could be?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Whistle

is this an atmospheric burner?

my old american standard boiler used to whistle [for a few seconds] when the gas began to flow. however my new peerless atmospheric does not. this may have been due to a gas pressure, or air-mix problem.

see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the whistle using a length of hose one end of which is placed against your ear, and the other end pointing to various parts of the boiler.--nbc
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you.  I have been concerned that this whistling was indicative of a serious problem.  The boiler and system are operating as usual despite this new noise. 
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    adjust the fire rate very slightly

I've had atmospheric Weil Mclains that do this.  A small adjustment of the pressuretrol or firing rate will avoid the gas flow hitting a resonant frequency, which is the whistling you are hearing.  Of course, a change in the supply pressure may bring that whistling back down the road.
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 75
    Options
    Lennox Conservator

I'm not sure if it is atmospheric or not.  It is a Lennox Conservator series installed by the previous owner in 1994.  I will check the manual when I am home.  Based upon what I am hearing I will have the burners checked.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Lennox Conservator

uhm.. a Lennox Conservator is an induced draft boiler.  Is it possible the "whistling" has something to do with either the draft blower or a restricted vent?
  • DNW
    DNW Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Mine whistles, too.

My Weil-McLain whistles constantly while the gas is flowing.  A plumber once told me the regulator (?) was too small for the flowrate, or the flow was too high for the regulator.  It doesn't bother me anymore, I always know when the boiler is firing!
This discussion has been closed.