Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Boiler

Options
Bob C._2
Bob C._2 Member Posts: 33
Hot Water Boiler single zone 1 pump-utica 100,000 btu-working fine- but sounds like boiling-bubbleing inside sections-could this be calcium build  up on sections? anything we can try-homeowner complains very noisy at night.

Comments

• pardon_my_ignorance
    Options
    yes, it could be build up, but...

it would be best to determine why it occurred, if indeed it has. how old is the boiler? are you eliminating air effectively? who has worked on it in the past and how have they maintained it? are you/have you been pumping away? does the system re-fill because of pressure relief tripping? has the system been regularly bled as a "preventive maintenance proceedure"(not a good thing)? what were the water conditions when the system was filled? have there been any chemicals added?  
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I agree, "boiler" is a misnomer....

Hot water boilers are not supposed to sound like a tea pot on a hot stove. You should make certain that there are NO leaks on the heating system before you do anything. It could be as simple as a pressure relief valve with a drain termination in a floor drain where a leak can not be seen, or as drastic as a tube failure in a concrete slab between base boards. Bottom line, NO leak is a good leak.

Once you made certain there are no leaks, you can apply a Field Clear Wave electronic water conditioner to the boiler and make it silent (in MOST cases) again. A word of warning. If there were any faults in the boiler vessel that were limed shut, this device will un plug those leaks, and the boiler will have to be replaced....

Proceed with caution, and a good caveated contractual proposal.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• HT in Pa_3
    HT in Pa_3 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    noisy boiler

I''ve scratched my head a couple times when hearing that sound, then to find out the boiler was almost dry. It was trying to become a steam boiler. You can verify it has water by lifting the lever on the relief valve.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited January 2012
    Options
    A dry hot water boiler doesn't try to become a steam boiler

...but a steam bomb.

How about checking a pressure gauge?
  • Doug Hiscock
    Doug Hiscock Member Posts: 6
    Options
    boiling boiler?

Bob,

Hope not. We used to call it "kettling". Extreme calcium, lime, mineral buildups internally or lack of H2O. Check accuracy of existing tridicator w/ new one. Age of boiler?
    Agway Doug
This discussion has been closed.